Sunday, February 2, 2014

Quote

Introduction

I created a poster with an inspirational quote about a philosophical view of music. During this project I designed a font and used basic shapes.

Description

First I had to choose my quote, so I searched Google
for some inspiration. I decided to narrow
Scamper Matrix
down my choices to ones that pertains to music since music is a big part of my life. A few contenders were "Music is what feelings sound like," and "When pain penetrates, music resonates," but I decided to go with "Music begins where the possibilities of language end" since it smoothly ran together without sounding corny. Next I started brainstorming ideas by organizing possibilities for my poster in a scamper matrix. Then I combined a few of my favorite ideas in a final thumbnail and used this thumbnail for the layout of my poster.

Opening up Illustrator, I started to design my poster. I
first created my cymbal using the pen tool. I copied the
overall shape, re-sized it, and deleted specific anchor
points to make the rings of the cymbal. Then I realized
Final Thumbnail
if I added the french horn and cassette, the pictures would take away from the words. I decided to just leave the cymbal there since I thought it looked nice and I wanted to incorporate my love for percussion in the poster. Next I created staff lines which I will use as the basis for my text and connect a few to the cymbal. I choose to make a few of the cymbal rings and staff lines different stroke thicknesses so the poster did not look boring. Then I used the rectangle tool to make a background. I added a gradient between two colors: magenta and grey. These colors
make the center pop which is where I was going to put
the words.

I started writing the word "possibilities" and decided it
would look neat if I made the center of the word look
squished, so I made the beginning and ending letters
wider. Since I was not using the cassette, I thought I
Final Poster
could combine the word with the staff line by leaving the bottom of letters open and joining the sides with the line. After I finished that word, I decided to make the other words just rest above the line so I could make the word "possibilities" stick out. I used the pen tool to make the other letters and created a font that looked smooth and simple. I by accidentally forgot to line up the letters but thought it looked cool that the letters did not exactly follow the same base line, so I continued this pattern. After I finished the other
letters, I colored them different colors while still
matching the same scheme as my background.

Analysis

This is one of my favorite projects because it is practical; I am very excited to hang this poster in my music room! The most interesting part of this project was figuring out how to make the rings of my cymbal and combine the word "possibilities" with the staff line. However, the most difficult part was deciding on the colors so they look like they belong without fading too much into the background. I overcame my obstacle by trying different combinations of colors by creating new swatches. If I had more time I could have probably made the word "possibilities" look more symmetric. Each aspect (cymbal, lines, and background; the word "possibilities;" and the other words and choosing the colors) took approximately the same time to complete. This project is about a 5/10 for difficulty depending on how complex the poster design is. I am very proud of my final result and believe my effort deserves a 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment