Thursday, June 5, 2014

Vintage Poster

Introduction:

I designed a vintage poster from the 60s. This poster advertises a band called 30 Seconds to Mars with one of their famous logos, the bird.

Description:

Inspiration
I researched a few different vintage posters. My options included a travel poster, band poster, etc. I choose
a band poster since my life is intertwined with music. I decided to highlight 30 Seconds to Mars since their band culminates several different logos and philosophies that a vintage poster would illuminate. I searched many styles of vintage posters and discovered they include geometric patterns, bright colors, mixed media, and curvy words. I incorporated these designs in my sketches and poster.




first draft

I started by making the basic design of the bird in Illustrator. I image traced a picture of the bird and placed a teal background behind the bird. Then I changed some of the colors and deleted the extra white background. I saved this as an image and imported it into Photoshop. Then I placed a geometric pattern behind the picture of the image and blended them together with the vivid mask to bring out the retro colors of the 60s. I also created a new layer where I painted and blurred bright colors, which can be seen over the black text "30 Seconds to Mars"to incorporate more vintage colors.




final

I noticed many band posters have curvy text, so when I added my text, I found a font that didn't have clean and cut edges. Then I used the warp tool to make the words even curvier. For example, I used the fishbowl warp on the number 30. Then I added some mixed media to the background. I placed a newspaper into Photoshop, then cut out, copied, and pasted little sections of the newspaper. I placed them around the top of the bird's wing and flattened the layers so I could apply the same effects to all of the small pieces of newspaper. I then deleted the original newspaper and used the eraser tool to blend and fade the newspaper pieces into the background.

However, I was not finished yet. I had peer revisions, where I discovered I should improve some aspects of my poster. I decided to move the text away from the edge of the paper and add some more vintage textures.



Reflection:

This project was very fun, for it is practical and I was making something interesting in my life. The hardest part was placing all the little pieces of newspaper around the wing. Although it is the smallest piece of my poster, it was the most time consuming. I had to figure out how to strategically place the clippings and what hardness and opacity I should set for my eraser tool so they would blend but still be visible. I was best at manipulating the bird with shapes and color choices. From this project, I have learned how to use the lasso tool! I have enjoyed my time working on this poster. Difficulty is about an 8/10 but my performance is worth a 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment